Tuesday, April 1, 2008

on the borderline

So I guess to me, Bob Dylan plays pretty much the quintessential rainy day music, as I mentioned in my last post. I love Bob Dylan, and overall, I'm not a big fan of many of the covers out there of his songs. I mean no one quite can play 'em like he can. But there are always exceptions, and I found one today.

Anyone love David Kitt as much as I do? He was born in Dublin, Ireland and grew up surrounded by music (like me!). He started playing gigs while he was at Trinity College studying music technology. After graduating, he recorded and mixed eight beautiful tracks in his bedroom, and released his first record. What a great story! In 1999 he toured Ireland with The Frames, Glen Hansard's (from Once) band and the Jubilee Allstars. Currently, David is collaborating with his brother Rob in a band called Spilly Walker, and continuing to write and play some beautiful stuff.

Check out this gorgeous, minimal version of A Girl From The North Country which he performed live on Ireland's The View on RTÉ on May 22, 2001 in honor of Bob Dylan's 60th birthday:

No comments: